Saturday, September 28th and Sunday, September 29th, 2013
Saturday, September 28th, 2013 Time Competition 11:00 a.m. 500 m and 1,000 m Bambini Run (born 2003 or after)
Registration available at the BERLIN VITAL expo, Tempelhof airport
15:20 p.m. mini-MARATHON 15:30 p.m. Inlineskating Marathon (see extra information) 15:20 p.m. mini-MARATHON Sunday, September 29th, 2013 Time Competition 8:35 a.m. Wheelchair competitors 8:43 a.m. Hand cyclists 9:00 a.m. Runners and Power-Walkers (no Nordic Walking)
Times are subject to change.
The event is open to participants 18 years of age and older. The BMW BERLIN-MARATHON is organized according to the international competition regulations (IWB) of the German Athletics Federation (DLV) and the International Amateur Athletics Federation (IAAF) under the supervision of the Berlin Athletics Association (BLV). Hand cycles and wheelchairs will be permitted on the course. All other wheeled racing equipment is prohibited. Nordic Walkers are not eligible to compete.
Category Year of Birth Junior category 1994 - 1995 Senior category 1984 - 1993 Master category Before 1984
There will be separate results for men and women. Categories are established according to the Athletics Regulations (LAO).
Master categories starting with W35 / M40 are divided upwards into 5 year groups and will be organized accordingly in the list of results (excluding power walkers).
To compete in both in the running and skating marathons, participants must complete both registration forms (running and skating) and return both by post to the address listed on the form. Please mark the field "double starter" on each form. The registration fee for the second event is 35 euros. There will be a separate list of results for double starters.
Registration is closed for 2013.
Registration confirmations will be mailed to participants in mid-August 2013 irrespective of when the registration form was received.
A list of all registered participants can be found online.
Times will be measured exclusively using the ChampionChip, a plastic transponder attached to a runner's shoes to record individual time. The ChampionChip is used at 60% of all running events in Germany and at all major marathons worldwide.
Participants have the following options:
1. Chip owners may enter their personal chip numbers on the race registration form (a combination of 7 numbers and letters).
2. Chips may be purchased. Please check the appropriate box on the registration form. The purchase price of 31 euros will be deducted from your account in addition to the race registration fee. Chips will be received by mail no later than two weeks following registration and may be used for other events preceding the BERLIN-MARATHON. Those that register within 30 days of the event will receive their chip along with their race number at the BERLIN VITAL Expo.
3. Chips may be leased (with option to purchase). Chips may be rented for a fee of 6 euros deducted along with the race registration fee. Rental chips must be returned undamaged to the designated chip return area within two hours of the event's end.
Participants also have the option to keep the chip after the event. When registering with the rental option, entrants sign a contract to purchase at the end of the rental period. Should you choose to keep your chip, your account or credit card will be debited 25 euros (the difference between the 6 euro rental fee and the purchase price of 31 euros). Participants who purchase their chips will no longer be required to rent and return their chips on race day.
Start/ Finish Areas
The start and finish areas are located on Straße des 17. Juni between Brandenburg Gate and "Kleiner Stern". Participants must complete the course by 3:15 p.m. (time limit: 6 hrs 15 min).
Changing Tents and Showers
Showers and changing tents will be available in the finish area.
Race numbers must be picked up at the BERLIN VITAL Expo from September 26th through September 28th. Participants must bring a copy of their confirmation email to receive their numbers. A clothing bag and sponge will be included with the race materials. Race numbers will not be distributed on race day.
Both the pre-ordered adidas technical shirts and the official event shirt will be distributed at the BERLIN VITAL Expo. The coupons needed to receive pre-ordered shirts will be attached to the race numbers. It will not be possible to redeem shirt coupons at a later date.
ChampionChip owners should bring their personal timing chip to the Expo to be tested.
Power walkers should note the following:
- All walkers must start in the last starting block.
- This is not a competitive race. The list of results will be in alphabetical order according to finishing times. There will be no ranking list.
Nordic walking is not permitted.
All participants will receive a medal at the finish line (until the finish is closed). The booth for medal engraving will be located near the finish (Ebertstraße). Participants who prepaid the engraving fee will have a mark on their race numbers. Engraving must take place on race day.
Preliminary certificates will also be available in the finish area and via Internet. In early December 2013, a personal certificate with time and rank and a result list will be sent to finishers by mail. Entry fees for the 2014 marathon will be waived for the winners in each age category.
- Admission to the BERLIN VITAL Expo is free for participants in the 39th BMW BERLIN-MARATHON and up to two guests, Bambini Run participants and their families, and for all individuals under 18 years of age.
- Breakfast Run to the Olympic Stadium (6 km): Saturday, September 28th, 9:30 a.m. at Charlottenburg Castle
- Ecumenical Evening Prayer: Saturday, September 28th, 8:30 p.m. at Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtnis-Kirche
- mini-MARATHON (for school teams): Saturday, September 28th, 3:30 p.m. at Potsdamer Strasse near National Gallery
- Bambinilauf – Children's Run (500 and 1,000 m): Saturday, September 28th at Templehof Airport
- Award Ceremony: Sunday, September 29th between 11:30 a.m and 12:00 p.m (noon) at finish area on Straße des 17.
- Marathon Party: Sunday, September 29th, 8:00 p.m. (destination t.b.a.)
The BMW BERLIN-MARATHON medical team works in cooperation with a first aid organization to monitor the course and provide medical care as necessary. The medical staff on duty has the right and responsibility to remove from the race any participants demonstrating signs of injury or excessive strain.
Double Start Running/Skating - Ranking Method
The skating times will be weighted more heavily when calculating the final times for double starters. Skating times will be multiplied by the quotient of the winning runners' times (male and female) and the winning skaters' times (male and female). The sum of a participant's weighted skating time and his/her running time is equal to the final double start time.
BERLIN VITAL Expo
The BERLIN VITAL Expo highlights the latest lifestyle, fitness, wellness, health, and nutrition trends. The Expo will host 200 exhibitors from both Germany and abroad and offer a variety of products and information related to the topics of sports performance, functional wear, endurance sports, medicine, active tourism, and many more. Approximately 85,000 visitors are expected to attend the BERLIN VITAL Expo. The Expo is also the location of race number pick up.
We encourage participants to use public transportation when traveling to the Expo.
U-Bahn Subway: Line U6 – Stop: Platz der Luftbrücke
Bus: Lines 104, 248 to the end: Flughafen Tempelhof or Platz der Luftbrücke
Thursday, September 26th, 2:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Friday, September 27th, 12:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, September 28th, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
All individuals choosing to participate in endurance sports should undergo a medical exam at least once a year. The completion of a 10 km race, half marathon or marathon is not always an accurate indicator of good physical health. It is recommended that all entrants receive a physical examination prior to competing in the BMW BERLIN-MARATHON.
BMW BERLIN-MARATHON Shop
Visit our BMW BERLIN-MARATHON Shop!